Translate

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Farewell, My Dear Friend. In Memory of Coach Tripp Merritt...May He Rest in Peace.

When I received a phone call from a good friend of mine that my dear buddy, Tripp Merritt had suddenly passed away in his sleep at 52-years old on August 10th, 2020, it was beyond devastating to let that terrible news sink-in.

Tripp was a fantastic person, and yet he was humbled by his own imperfections, as each of us are. 

Throughout the highs and lows of his life, he always worked to improve himself for his benefit and that of his beautiful wife, Pam, and their combined group of wonderful children. 

Tripp was at a very happy point in his life when he unexpectedly passed away.

Importantly, Tripp was a genuine and loving man with a gentle soul. 

Most people never knew that Tripp overcame a significant physical disability growing up, only to become a dynamic high school student-athlete in his home state of North Carolina. He then served our country in the United States Coast Guard before becoming an excellent NCAA football coach for many years to come. 

Tripp's positive and insightful teaching methods greatly helped the multitude of student-athletes he tutored throughout the country, both on and off the field. 

And, fortunately, I was lucky enough to begin my 20-year friendship with Tripp that began at St. Mary's College in Moraga, CA, in the year 2000. 

Tripp and I coached together at SMC for three-years, and we ended up becoming roommates. It was a wonderful and fulfilling time in our lives. The coaching staff under Tim Landis at St. Mary's was filled with remarkable people.

Rarely, did Tripp and I talk about football when we were away from the gridiron. Instead, we discussed the amazing complexities of humanity, our favorite movies, politics, fishing, baseball and basketball. And, with both of us having been single men during that time in our lives, we talked about the women we were dating or the ones that we were interested in getting to know better. 

I was also a single dad back then, and Tripp would volunteer to help me out with my son, Parker, whenever the situation called for it. 

Luckily, when I began dating a wonderful woman, Dolly, and we eventually decided to get married, it was Tripp that proudly accepted our request to get himself deputized. Tripp eagerly followed through and fulfilled his once-in-a-lifetime duties, and he proceeded to marry us in 2004.

Tripp's legacy of having been a wonderful NCAA football coach, is true; as evidenced by the numerous heartfelt comments put forth from the many players, coaches and administrative staff members that he worked with. 

People gravitated towards Tripp and loved him, and he returned those feelings ten-fold. 

For yours-truly, however, my dear friend, Tripp was not only a coaching buddy, but he became one of my closest friends that changed my life for the better...forever. He made me a better man.

Tripp...May You Rest in Peace. We shall see each other again in the future.

God Bless the soul of my dear friend, Tripp Merritt.

No comments: